Beckman, TX


By: Minnie B. Cameron

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Beckman (Beckmann) was near the junction of Interstate Highway 10 and Loop 1604, fourteen miles northwest of downtown San Antonio in northwestern Bexar County. The site was settled before 1900 and named for John Beckmann, artist and recluse, who spent his last years there. In the mid-1930s Beckman was a flag stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The chief industry was a limestone quarry. In 1940 the settlement had a store, a church, and a population of twenty-five. After World War II most of the residents moved away, but as late as 1984 Beckmann was still shown on maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Minnie B. Cameron, “Beckman, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beckman-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Beckman
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bexar County
Associated Names

-n

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.46544900°
  • Longitude: -98.29220700°