Bedias Road


By: Robert Bruce Blake

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


The Bedias Road or Bedias Trail, an Indian trail of the time of Spanish and French exploration, connected the Bidai Indian village on Bedias or Santo Tomás Creek with another settlement at or near the site of present Nacogdoches. The trail crossed the Trinity River at Paso Tomás, the site of Bucareli, passed the Bidai village at the Don Joaquín crossing of the Angelina River, ten miles south of Nacogdoches, and then turned north toward Nacogdoches. This is one of the roads called El Camino Real by the Spaniards, but it was not the same as the Old San Antonio Road, the principal camino real of Texas.

A. Joachim McGraw, John W. Clark, Jr., and Elizabeth A. Robbins, eds., A Texas Legacy, the Old San Antonio Road and the Caminos Reales: A Tricentennial History, 1691–1991 (Austin: State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, 1991).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Bruce Blake, “Bedias Road,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bedias-road.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994