Beech Grove, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 30, 2020


Beech (Beach) Grove is south of U.S. Highway 190 and Science Hall, six miles southwest of Jasper in western Jasper County. A post office was established there in 1890. The local school had thirty pupils and one teacher in 1897; by 1905 the community had three schools for White children with 128 pupils and four teachers, and four schools for Black children with 207 pupils and four teachers. Beech Grove had a general store and cotton gin in 1914. George W. Smyth lived in the community. A population of seventy-five remained in 1930. Three businesses operated in Beech Grove in 1932, and state highway maps in 1936 showed two cemeteries at the townsite. Beech Grove School was moved six miles northeast to a highway junction in 1937, and the post office moved in 1944 to a new location at Curtis, to the northwest. In the 1980s a town hall, two schools, and a campground remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Beech Grove, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beech-grove-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 30, 2020

Place
Beech Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381386
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Associated Names

Beach-

Science Hall

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.85603420°
  • Longitude: -94.12130130°