Beeson, Benjamin (unknown–ca. 1837)


By: Seymour V. Connor

Type: Biography

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Benjamin Beeson (or Beason), one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to his land in Colorado County on August 7, 1824. He operated a ferry on the Colorado River at the site of present Columbus, where his wife, Elizabeth, kept an inn. In April 1836 the Beeson family was at Harrisburg, where Mrs. Beeson operated a boarding house. Benjamin Beeson died before March 9, 1837; the Telegraph and Texas Register of March 14, 1837, carried a notice that William B. DeWees, Leander Beeson, and Abel Beeson were administrators of his estate.

Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). Amelia W. Williams and Eugene C. Barker, eds., The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813–1863 (8 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1938–43; rpt., Austin and New York: Pemberton Press, 1970).

Time Periods:
  • Mexican Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Seymour V. Connor, “Beeson, Benjamin,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/beeson-benjamin.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: