Behrens, TX


By: Alice J. Rhoades

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Behrens was a school community just east of State Highway 386 and four miles northeast of Mason in central Mason County. It was named for Henry Julius Behrens, one of the first German settlers to move there from Fredericksburg (see GERMANS). He arrived in January 1880, and he and his neighbors soon built a school on his land, with Miss Ellen C. Hill as the first teacher. No population has been listed for Behrens since 1904. The Behrens family cemetery is located at the site, and the rock Behrens house was still standing as late as 1976.

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alice J. Rhoades, “Behrens, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/behrens-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Behrens
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1351804
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Mason County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.80489790°
  • Longitude: -99.20477660°