Bell Branch, TX (Atascosa County)

By: Linda Peterson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bell (Belle) Branch was a rural community three miles south of Fashing in eastern Atascosa County. The settlement was a stage stop on the San Patricio Trail in the 1870s. A local post office opened in 1871, but service was removed to Campbellton in 1879. Bell Creek, which runs through the area, is probably the source of the name. By 1936 Bell Branch was no longer indicated on highway maps, and by 1963 only ruins marked the site.

Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Linda Peterson, “Bell Branch, TX (Atascosa County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 24, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bell-branch-tx-atascosa-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
November 1, 1994

Loading