The Bellville Countryman, founded on July 28, 1860, was a semiweekly newspaper published by W. S. Thayer for editor and proprietor John P. Osterhout. Though the paper's motto was "Independent in All Things–Neutral in None," it favored the Southern wing of the Democratic party. The paper regularly carried a column in German. Osterhout continued publication throughout the Civil War, publishing the paper on halfsheets. The Bellville Countryman ceased on August 21, 1865, but was subsequently continued by the Texas Countryman.