Bellwood, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bellwood is on Lake Bellwood and the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway just west of Tyler and south of State Highway 31 in western Smith County. It was supposedly named for Frances Marion Bell, who owned a store in Tyler in the early 1850s. By 1936 the lake had been impounded by a dam built across Indian Creek. The lake, originally privately owned, served as a water source for Tyler and was later bought by the city. In 1936 a gauging or pumping station, accessed by a graded and drained road, was located on the lake. In 1976 the community had a few scattered dwellings, some water tanks, and one business. In 1985 the Bellwood Country Club and Briarwood Country Club were nearby.

"Pictures from Our Past," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1968. Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Bellwood, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bellwood-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bellwood
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.32749190°
  • Longitude: -95.36229940°