Belview, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Belview is a church community thirteen miles northeast of Jefferson and two miles northeast of the intersection of State highways 49 and 43 in northeastern Marion County. The Belview school had seventy-two black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse with twenty-nine elementary students. By 1955 the school had consolidated with the Jefferson schools, and in 1962 all that remained at the site of Belview was a church, which was still shown on state highway maps in 1983.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Belview, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/belview-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Belview
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330397
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.83319490°
  • Longitude: -94.14740770°