Benina, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Benina was twenty miles south of San Augustine in southeastern San Augustine County. The settlement was granted a post office named Ashton in 1871, and the name was changed to Boren's Mills in 1874. The community had an estimated 100 inhabitants, three cotton gin-gristmill combinations, and a blacksmith shop in 1884. The name was changed again to Benina in 1889. F. C. Powell was running a general store in the town in 1890. In 1896 Benina had a population of thirty and Methodist and Baptist churches. In 1914 the population had dropped to twenty-five inhabitants. The post office closed in 1920, and by the 1940s Benina was no longer listed on state highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Benina, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/benina-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Benina
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Augustine County
Associated Names

Ashton

Borens Mills

Wade Mill