Bentonville, TX


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bentonville is on State Highway 44 seven miles east of Alice in east central Jim Wells County. A post office established there in 1910 operated until 1932. Bentonville was named for an early settler. By 1914 the community had a population of fifty, two general stores, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith. A stop on the Texas-Mexican Railway was also established there that year. By 1936 the town had only scattered dwellings and farm units. In 1949 it had a population of twenty and one business. The population remained constant in the 1950s and 1960s and decreased to fifteen in 1974. In 1979 the community had scattered dwellings, a windmill, an oil well, and was a stop on the Texas-Mexican Railway. In 2000 the population was still fifteen.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “Bentonville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bentonville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
November 1, 1994

Place
Bentonville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377994
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jim Wells County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 27.77585900°
  • Longitude: -97.95805600°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009