Berea, TX (Houston County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Berea (Beria), at the junction of State Highway 7 and Farm Road 232 eight miles east of Crockett in east central Houston County, was established before 1900. In the mid-1930s the settlement had two churches, several stores, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s the community still had a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. In the early 1990s Berea was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was forty-one.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Berea, TX (Houston County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/berea-tx-houston-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading