Berea, TX (Marion County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Berea is on Farm Road 728 four miles northwest of Jefferson in central Marion County. It was founded as a Seventh-day Adventist colony about 1914. In 1962 the community had a Seventh-day Adventist church, a cemetery, a number of dwellings, and the Jefferson Rural Academy, an Adventist school. Berea had a population of 142 in the 1960s and seventy-four in the 1970s. In 1989 Jefferson Seventh-day Adventist Academy had approximately forty pupils, and the community had a grocery store, a church, an elementary school, a number of homes, and a population estimated by one local resident at 250. The official count in 2000 was seventy-four.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Berea, TX (Marion County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/berea-tx-marion-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Berea
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330435
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.80624920°
  • Longitude: -94.40213930°
Population Counts
People Year
200 2009