Bermuda, TX (Shelby County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bermuda was nine miles north of Center and two miles southwest of Tenaha in northern Shelby County. The settlement received a post office in 1880, with Peter N. Bentley as postmaster. In 1884 the population was reported as twenty. The post office was discontinued in 1891, and the mail was sent to Center. In 1897 the settlement had a one-room, one-teacher school with forty-eight pupils. By 1938 the school had closed.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Bermuda, TX (Shelby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bermuda-tx-shelby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bermuda
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Sunny Slope