Berry Creek (Burnet County)


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 30, 2018


Berry Creek rises 1½ miles southwest of Briggs in northeastern Burnet County (at 30°53' N, 97°57' W) and flows southeast for thirty-two miles to its mouth on the San Gabriel River, about four miles northeast of Georgetown in Williamson County (at 30°40' N, 97°36' W). The stream, intermittent in its upper reaches, was named for John Berry, who was granted the land near the mouth of the creek and settled on its banks in 1846. The banks are heavily wooded for much of the creek's course, mainly with mesquite, juniper, and oak. The surrounding terrain is gently rolling and surfaced with clayey soils used predominantly for agriculture.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Berry Creek (Burnet County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/berry-creek-burnet-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 30, 2018