Bess, TX (Dallas County)


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bess was fourteen miles northeast of Dallas on Duck Creek; the site is now in Richardson, northern Dallas County. The settlement was started in the 1850s by members of the Peters colony and named for Lemuel Bess, who received a certificate for 320 acres that included the site. The land was patented in Dallas County in his name after he sold it. In 1949 Bess was served on a rural mail route from Garland.

Places:
  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Bess, TX (Dallas County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bess-tx-dallas-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Bess
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Dallas County