Bessie, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bessie, in southwestern Gaines County, was the site of the first school recognized by the state of Texas in Gaines County in the early 1900s. A post office operated there from 1905 to 1910, with James C. Dean as postmaster. The town, however, never developed, and the site was dropped from maps.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Bessie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bessie-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bessie
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Gaines County