Bethel, TX (Houston County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bethel, a rural community off Farm Road 227 two miles west of Tadmore in eastern Houston County, was established before 1900. A local school had an enrollment of fifty-four in 1897. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a store, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Bethel was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Bethel, TX (Houston County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bethel-tx-houston-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading