Bethel, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bethel, near Farm Road 1651 eight miles southwest of Canton in southwest Van Zandt County, dates to October 27, 1858, when William F. Palmer and his wife deeded acreage for a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and a cemetery nine miles southwest of Canton. In 1936 Bethel comprised a school, a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings, but by the 1950s the school had been consolidated with the Canton Independent School District. In 1965 the church, the cemetery, a single business establishment, and several dwellings marked the townsite, but population figures were unavailable. By 1984 only the church and scattered dwellings remained.

Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Bethel, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bethel-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bethel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330502
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.43902950°
  • Longitude: -95.92635630°