Bethlehem, TX (Smith County)


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bethlehem is a church community a mile east of Saline Bay and three miles west of Flint in extreme southwestern Smith County. The church and cemetery lie just north of Farm Road 346. In 1936 a local school employed two teachers for fifty-eight black students in grades one through seven, and the vicinity supported three churches. By 1952 the school had been consolidated with the Bullard Independent School District. Maps for 1973 show a large church, a cemetery, and a few scattered farms at the site of Bethlehem. The area was still sparsely settled in 1981. The Wheeler Rodeo Grounds were located to the west and Julia Drew Temple to the north.

Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Bethlehem, TX (Smith County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bethlehem-tx-smith-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bethlehem
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330530
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.17404490°
  • Longitude: -95.39273140°