Bibb, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bibb, also known as Bibb Mission, was twelve miles northwest of Comanche in northwestern Comanche County. It was established in the 1870s. The Bibb post office opened in 1878, and by 1884 the community had an estimated population of fifty, a school, and a church and shipped cotton and livestock. The following year a small store was established in Bibb. In 1896 the settlement had two grocery stores, a cotton gin, a flour mill, and Christian and Methodist churches. Bibb reached its peak population of 176 in 1900. The community declined rapidly in the next decade, and the post office closed in 1909. By the 1930s it was no longer listed on county maps.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Bibb, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bibb-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bibb
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Associated Names

-Mission

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.97088000°
  • Longitude: -98.74502300°