Big Cypress, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Big Cypress was on the Texas and St. Louis Railway near the banks of Big Cypress Creek five miles from Pittsburg in northern Camp County. A post office was established there in 1889 and closed in 1891. According to a publication of in 1892, the community had a gristmill, a gin, and a store, all operated by the postmaster, M. C. Davis, who was also a photographer. The community also had a Mason, a carpenter, a shoemaker, and an estimated population of seventy-five, but that estimate probably included the nearby black community of Harvard, or Harvard Switch. By 1910 Big Cypress had ceased to exist.

Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Big Cypress, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/big-cypress-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Big Cypress
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Camp County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.07156700°
  • Longitude: -94.96598300°