Birch, TX


By: Charles Christopher Jackson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Birch, on Farm Road 60 and Birch Creek eight miles northwest of Somerville in southern Burleson County, has been a farming community since the first half of the nineteenth century. Settlement in the vicinity began in the mid-1830s, but the first record of a community appears in the records of the newly organized Burleson County Commissioners Court in 1846. In the mid-1880s a number of Czechoslovakian immigrants reached Burleson County; they settled in Caldwell and also pushed several miles to the southwest. Some of them help to found Frenstat, and others proceeded to Birch. A post office operated in Birch from 1891 until 1908, and a school operated in the town for several years until it was consolidated with the Somerville Independent School District in 1948. In 1941 Birch had a population estimated at twenty-five and two accredited businesses. Population estimates remained at the same level until 1948, the last year for which figures are available. In 1961 a Birch congregation of the United Church of Christ was consolidated with a church in Lyons. By the early 1960s only a tiny cluster of houses remained at the site.

Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles Christopher Jackson, “Birch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/birch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Birch
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379420
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Burleson County
Associated Names

Knittel

Nickle

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.38187600°
  • Longitude: -96.67719650°
Population Counts
People Year
200 2009