Birdston, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Birdston was on Farm Road 416 two miles northeast of Streetman in extreme south central Navarro County. It was probably established before the Civil War. In 1866 a Birdston post office opened, and by 1885 the town had two steam gristmill and cotton gin combinations, a sawmill, five churches, and a public school. The estimated population in 1892 was 250. After 1900 the town began to decline; many residents moved to Streetman, on the railroad. In 1909 the Birdston post office closed, and by the mid-1930s the community no longer appeared on highway maps. In 1990 the former townsite was marked only by a cemetery and a few scattered houses.

Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Birdston, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/birdston-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Birdston
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330707
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Navarro County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.91016060°
  • Longitude: -96.30386520°