Bishop Hollow, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bishop Hollow was a frontier settlement on the Frio River seven miles southwest of the site of present Pearsall in central Frio County. A post office was established in the community in 1878 and called Ireland; it was discontinued in 1881 and moved to the newly established railroad town of Pearsall. According to county sources the site was subsequently known as Bishop Hollow. In 1900 a local school by the name of Bishop had twenty-four students taught by one teacher. Bishop Hollow does not appear on twentieth-century maps.

Mrs. W. A. Roberts, "Frio County Has a Colorful History," Frontier Times, June 1936.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Bishop Hollow, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 10, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bishop-hollow-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bishop Hollow
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Frio County
Associated Names

Ireland