Black Hills Creek


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Black Hills Creek rises near White Springs, seven miles northeast of the Black Hills in southeastern Presidio County (at 20°40' N, 104°01' W), and flows southwest for eighteen miles to join Terneros Creek. The united stream subsequently flows a mile to its mouth on the Rio Grande, four miles below Fort Leaton State Historic Site (at 29°32' N, 104°16' W). The stream principally crosses Quaternary alluvium, but it originates in volcanic deposits and terminates in the gravel terrace of the Rio Grande floodplain. The soils are light reddish-brown to brown sands and clay loams, often rough and stony. The vegetation consists primarily of sparse desert shrubs.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Black Hills Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/black-hills-creek.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994