Black Jack, TX (Henderson County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Black Jack is on Farm Road 1803 nine miles northeast of Athens in eastern Henderson County. The settlement was evidently founded prior to 1900. A local school was operating by 1906, when it had an enrollment of 114. In the mid-1930s Black Jack had a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II the school closed, and in the early 1990s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Black Jack, TX (Henderson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/black-jack-tx-henderson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Blackjack
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1330799
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Henderson County
Associated Names

Black Jack

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.24570600°
  • Longitude: -95.71051810°