Blackjack, TX (Smith County)


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Blackjack is just south of Lake Tyler off Farm Road 346 in southern Smith County. It is bordered on the east by Prairie Creek. The settlement, only a half mile east of the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway (originally the International-Great Northern), had a school, two churches, and a small collection of farms in 1936. By 1952 its school had been consolidated with the Whitehouse Independent School District. In 1973 the center of the scattered farm community was the New Canaan Church and Cemetery, and in 1981 Blackjack was identified as a church community.

Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Blackjack, TX (Smith County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blackjack-tx-smith-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Blackjack
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378013
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.20571140°
  • Longitude: -95.17800240°