Blackland, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blackland is on State Highway 276 four miles southeast of Rockwall in central Rockwall County. The settlement received a post office in 1876. During the 1880s it had a population of 125, three businesses, and a gristmill. Local farmers shipped cotton, wheat, and oats. The population had declined to about fifty by 1900, although the Blackland school employed two teachers and registered seventy-nine students. The post office was closed in 1903. Blackland's population was 114 in 1904, fourteen in 1940, and forty-nine in 1990.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Blackland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blackland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Blackland
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378014
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Rockwall County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.89956770°
  • Longitude: -96.34970450°