Blackoak (Black Oak), at the junction of Farm roads 69 and 269 in southeastern Hopkins County, was named for its location in a forest of black oak. The area was first settled around 1850. In the mid-1850s David Attaway, an early settler, donated land for a church, and a local post office was established in 1854 under the name Black Oak with David H. Campbell as postmaster. By 1885 the community had a district school, Methodist and Baptist churches, and a population of 100. In 1905 the community had two public schools, one for White children that had forty-eight students that year, and one for Black children that had thirty. The post office closed in 1905, and in 1933 the town had a population of twenty-four and one business. In 1936 the community comprised two churches, a cemetery, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. After World War II the school was closed, and most of the residents moved away. In the mid-1960s Blackoak had a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered farmhouses. In 1988 a church and cemetery were still at the site.