Black's Fort, on the South San Gabriel River in eastern Burnet County, was named for William Black, who built it in 1851, reportedly to protect local settlers from Indian raids. It consisted of a thick-walled stone house and a springhouse within a stone and wood stockade and served as a residence and a storage place for supplies and ammunition. It saw little defense service, however, as most of the raids occurred in the western part of the county near Fort Croghan. The building supposedly served as a fort until 1868. Thereafter it continued to be used as a residence. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker on the site. In the latter part of the twentieth century there was some speculation that Black's Fort was not, in fact, a fort, but instead simply a residence. Possibly the structure, apparently the only stone house in the area, was called Black's Fort but had never actually served as a defense fort. As of the early 1990s there was no evidence to support or refute the claim, and the 1936 marker remained at the site.