Blackwell, Enid and Texas Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


The Blackwell, Enid and Texas Railway Company was chartered on July 2, 1901, to lay track from Vernon, Texas, to the north bank of the Red River, near the east line of Wilbarger County. The initial capital was $20,000, and the business office was in Vernon, Wilbarger County. Members of the first board of directors included C. T. Herring, L. G. Hawkins, Bismarck Houssels, B. J. Parker, and J. R. Tolbert, all of Vernon; Breckenridge Jones and Eugene Benoist of St. Louis, Missouri; Edward L. Peckham of Oklahoma; and W. C. Robinson of Winfield, Texas. In 1902 twelve miles of track was completed from Vernon to the Red River, where connection was made with the Blackwell, Enid and Southwestern Railway Company. The following year the line received $47,217 in passenger revenue and $152,917 in freight revenue. On June 30, 1904, the road was acquired by the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway Company, which operated it until the line was abandoned in 1957.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Blackwell, Enid and Texas Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blackwell-enid-and-texas-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995