Blackwell, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blackwell is on State Highway 70, Farm Road 1170, and the Santa Fe tracks three miles northwest of Oak Creek Reservoir in Nolan and Coke counties. The community was originally called James or Jamestown when the plat was filed in 1906, but it was renamed for an Orient Railroad stockholder when the railroad was built through later that year. A post office was granted to the community in March 1907. The town developed as a trading center for portions of Nolan, Coke, and Taylor counties. Its first school opened in 1907, and in 1929 the Blackwell Rural Consolidated High School was organized. Churches at the community included Methodist, Baptist, and Church of Christ, established in 1903, 1909, and 1928 respectively. In 1945 the town reported a population of 500 and thirteen businesses. In 1980 its population was 286 and in 1990, 339. In 2000 the population was 360.

E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Blackwell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blackwell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Blackwell
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2409859
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Nolan County
  • Coke County
Associated Names

James

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.08508260°
  • Longitude: -100.31933000°
Population Counts
People Year
339 1990
360 2000
311 2010
298 2019