Blalack, TX


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blalack was on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway near U.S. Highway 83 four miles northwest of Brownsville in southern Cameron County. In 1907 a school at the site had twenty-four students under the instruction of one teacher. The following year the Texas and New Orleans Railroad was built three miles east of the school. Blalack is probably named for P. E. Blalock, an important developer in the area. In 1948 the community comprised several scattered dwellings. By 1983 it no longer existed, and the site was in the Brownsville city limits.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “Blalack, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blalack-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Blalack
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1372619
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cameron County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 25.94924630°
  • Longitude: -97.48776200°