Bland, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bland was ten miles northwest of Belton on Owl Creek and Farm Road 184 in northwestern Bell County. The community was founded about 1880 by John Atkerson, who opened a store on the site. His name for the community, Pokerville, was supposedly derived from his fondness for playing poker with his customers. In 1894, when a post office was granted to the community, a more seemly name, Bland, was chosen; the name was possibly from that of D. T. Bland, an early settler in the area. Twenty people lived in the community in 1896. In 1925 Bland had sixty-three residents, but by 1949 its population had declined to twenty, and the community had one business. In the mid-1950s the site was inundated by Lake Belton.

Belton Journal, April 6, 1950.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Bland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bland
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379428
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Kirkwood

Pokerville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.21295170°
  • Longitude: -97.51445790°