Blevins, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blevins is on Farm Road 1239 twenty miles west of Marlin in western Falls County. A school was built there in 1885, and the next year a post office was established. By the mid-1890s the community had a cotton gin, two general stores, and 100 residents. Its post office was discontinued in 1904, but the Blevins school continued to operate until the district was divided between the Troy Independent School District in Bell County and the Bruceville-Eddy district in McLennan County. The population of Blevins was 130 in the 1940s. It fell to thirty-six by the mid-1960s, and remained at that level through 2000.

Lillian S. St. Romain, Western Falls County, Texas (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1951).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Blevins, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blevins-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Blevins
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1352418
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Falls County
Associated Names

Chek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.22323140°
  • Longitude: -97.20861190°
Population Counts
People Year
36 2014