Blox, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blox was on a small rise four miles north of Jasper and seventy-seven miles north of Beaumont in north central Jasper County. The settlement was named for Charles or E. D. Bloxsom, officers with the Kirby Lumber Company, which had established a logging camp at the site by 1919. That same year a post office was opened there. To house the new workers the Kirby company moved in numerous vacant buildings from Kirbyville. At the height of the local logging activity Blox had a population of some 1,200, about a third of whom were black. Most Blox residents went to Jasper for entertainment. As the locally available hardwoods and pines were cut out, lumbering operations were gradually shifted to New Blox, a logging camp twenty miles to the northwest. The Blox election precinct, established in 1922, was abolished in 1926. In 1931 the community's post office was discontinued, and the old town was completely torn down and moved to New Blox.

Jasper County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Kirby Lumber Corporation Papers, Steen Library, Stephen F. Austin State University.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Blox, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blox-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Blox
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379433
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.97408710°
  • Longitude: -93.97518660°