Blue Gap, TX

By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blue Gap was near the Coleman county line twenty-five miles northeast of Ballinger in extreme northeastern Runnels County. A log post office, established there in February 1878 with James K. Paulk as postmaster, was the first in the county; it was, in fact, founded before the county was organized in 1880. The townsite was named for a pass through nearby Table Mountain. For a brief period Blue Gap was a stop on the Round Rock-Buffalo Gap stage line. The community was short-lived, however, and its post office was discontinued in March 1881. The old post office building was restored in the 1960s, and a Texas Historical Commission marker was dedicated at the site in 1966.

Frank D. Jenkins, ed., Runnels County Pioneers (Abilene, Texas: R&R Reproduction, 1975). A. E. Skinner, The Rowena Country (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1973). Leonard Glenn Smith, A History of Runnels County (M.A. thesis, Trinity University, 1963).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Blue Gap, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 19, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blue-gap-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
November 1, 1994

Loading