Blue Mound, TX (Tarrant County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: September 30, 2020


Blue Mound is on Farm Road 156 eight miles north of Fort Worth in north central Tarrant County. In 1920 John Kennedy, an immigrant from Scotland, established Globe Laboratories, Incorporated, to produce serum to immunize cattle against black leg. In 1933 he purchased several hundred acres near the intersection of Blue Mound and Watauga roads in order to expand his serum business and to begin a new operation, the Globe Aircraft Company. Over the next decade a settlement grew up around the Kennedy businesses and was called Blue Mound because of its proximity to the hill of the same name. During the 1950s Bell Helicopter used the Kennedy facility to develop its new helicopters. In 1960, however, Bell left the facility, and the Kennedy building has remained vacant ever since. Blue Mound, however, survived and incorporated in 1960. The population steadily increased thereafter, surpassing 2,000 in the mid-1970s. During the 1980s the town became a bedroom community for residents employed in Fort Worth or at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. In 1990 the population was 2,133, and in 2000 it was 2,388.

Places:
  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Blue Mound, TX (Tarrant County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blue-mound-tx-tarrant-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
September 30, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Blue Mound
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2409869
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Tarrant County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.85454900°
  • Longitude: -97.33844700°
Population Counts
People Year
2,133 1990
2,388 2000
2,394 2010
2,458 2019