Bluewater, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bluewater is on an unnumbered road south of Farm Road 943 in southwestern Polk County, sixty-five miles north of Houston. The community was presumably named after Blue Branch Creek, which runs through the area. The settlement was started in the late 1890s by settlers including Daniel Rick Bush, Jim Geldard, and E. Dowden. Early residents built a log church and established the Blue Branch school, a cotton gin, a sawmill, and a blacksmith shop. The post office, called Dowden after its first postmaster, was open from 1904 to 1915. A few scattered buildings and residences, including a church and a cemetery, remained in the area in the late 1980s.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Bluewater, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bluewater-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bluewater
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Dowden

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.57500600°
  • Longitude: -94.77597700°