Blumenthal, TX (Colorado County)


By: Jeff Carroll

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: November 1, 1994


Blumenthal, meaning "valley of flowers," was close to Redgates Creek and about seventeen miles south of Industry in northern Colorado County. The settlement was established before 1840 by German immigrants and was a farming community with indefinite boundaries. The land where the settlement was situated was originally granted to Peter Piper. In 1840 Louis Cachand Ervendberg, the first known German Protestant missionary in Texas, established a congregation in the area, in addition to congregations in nearby Frelsburg, Biegel, Cummins Creek, Industry, and Cat Spring. Blumenthal never became a commercial center and never had a post office. Dr. Joseph A. Fischer, an associate of Pastor Ervendberg, agreed to teach school in the communities that had active congregations.

Frelsburg Historical Committee, The History of Frelsburg (New Ulm, Texas: Enterprise, 1986).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Jeff Carroll, “Blumenthal, TX (Colorado County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/blumenthal-tx-colorado-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
November 1, 1994

Place
Blumenthal
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Colorado County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.78550910°
  • Longitude: -96.55052710°