The Board of Water Engineers, established by the Texas legislature in 1913, was composed of three members appointed by the governor for six-year terms. One of the members was then made chairman and served as the chief administrative officer. The major duties of the board were to approve plans concerning the organization of irrigation and water-supply districts, approve the issuance of bonds by such districts, issue permits for storage and diversion of water, and make plans for storage and use of floodwater. In 1949 the legislature gave the board the power to define and designate underground water reservoirs and authorize underground water-conservation districts. In 1955 the board was granted the authority to approve federal projects requiring the governor's approval. This included any related construction done by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. The board was also required to employ a chief engineer at that time. The Board of Water Engineers dealt with matters concerning state surface-water appropriation and the collecting of related data. It conducted groundwater examinations and studied the effects of silt in streams, water runoff, and evaporation. In 1956 the board employed eighty-five full-time employees who worked within the various divisions of the agency: administrative, statistical and publications, permits and appropriations, surface water, and ground water. In 1962 the title of the Board of Water Engineers was changed to the Texas Water Commission, and the agency was reorganized three years later to become the Texas Water Rights Commission.