Boaz, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994

Updated: February 25, 2018


Boaz was between Brown's and Wolf creeks sixteen miles south of Gatesville in southeastern Coryell County. It was sometimes called Dunn's House, after Joseph William Dunn, who served as postmaster when the post office opened there in 1885. The community, presumably named for the biblical Boaz, in 1890 had a mill, a gin, a Baptist church, and thirty residents. By 1896 its population had risen to fifty. The Boaz post office was discontinued in 1912, and mail for the community was sent to Tama. The site became part of the Fort Hood military reservation in the early 1940s.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986). Lillie Ruth Payne, Half Dunn—Once Over Lightly: A History of the John Cartwright Dunn Family (Corpus Christi: Lillie Ruth Payne, 1984). Unknown, A Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties, Texas, Volume 2 (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1893).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Boaz, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/boaz-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994
February 25, 2018

Place
Boaz
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County
Associated Names

1

Dunn's House