Bobo, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Bobo is on U.S. Highway 84 twelve miles northwest of Center in northwestern Shelby County. The settlement grew up in the mid-1880s as a stop on the newly built Houston, East and West Texas Railway. A post office operated there from 1893 to 1898. In 1896 the community reported a general store and a population of ten. In the mid-1930s Bobo had a church, a sawmill, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but in the early 1990s a church, two cemeteries, and a few scattered houses still remained there.

Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Bobo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bobo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Bobo
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1889815
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Meldrum

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.92461390°
  • Longitude: -94.32547790°