Boggy Creek (Leon County)


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Boggy Creek, a spring-fed perennial stream, rises eight miles southwest of Centerville in southwestern Leon County (at 31°12' N, 96°07' W) and flows east for twenty-three miles to its mouth on the Trinity River, twelve miles east of Leona (at 31°07' N, 95°47' W). Midway down its course the creek forms Hayden Lake. It traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy and loamy soils that along the creek banks support post oak, black hickory, pecan, elm, water oak, and hackberry. The first settlers' building in the county was a two-story blockhouse constructed on the north bank of the upper creek in 1840. The structure, known as Fort Boggy because of the marshy condition of the creek bottom, was intended to protect settlers in the region between the Navasota and Trinity rivers north of the Old San Antonio Road. Since the 1880s Flynn has been located on the south bank of the upper creek. Cairo and Middleton are on the north bank of the lower creek.

James Young Gates and H. B. Fox, A History of Leon County (Centerville, Texas: Leon County News, 1936; rpt. 1977).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Boggy Creek (Leon County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/boggy-creek-leon-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Cairo
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353516
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Leon County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.16129470°
  • Longitude: -95.83578630°