Bold Springs, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bold Springs is on Farm roads 350 and 942 eighty-five miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. One of a series of small communities known collectively as the Louisiana Settlement, Bold Springs was established during the 1840s and named after the springs in the area. A Baptist church was organized there in 1849. The community subsequently had a small turpentine distillery. The Bold Springs post office was known as Nettie, after the postmistress, Nettie Burgess, and operated from 1903 to 1923. A few scattered residences and a church remained in 1984. In 1990 the population was 100.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Bold Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bold-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bold Springs
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034861
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Nettie

Marsh

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.83463500°
  • Longitude: -94.98549020°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2009