Bonami, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bonami is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway sixty miles north of Beaumont in east central Jasper County. It was established in 1901 when the Lee-Irvine Lumber Company built a sawmill on the rail line, then named the Gulf, Beaumont and Kansas City. The site was first called Leeton for one of the partners, D. J. Lee, but was renamed Bonami in 1902 by the first postmaster, R. J. Cooper, for a Louisiana town of the same name. The sawmill, which had a daily capacity of 25,000 board feet, was sold to the Bleakwood Lumber Company the following year. L. S. Bean managed the Bonami mill. The Bonami post office closed in 1914, and the following year Bean sold an edger, saw, and engine in storage at Bonami to J. J. and V. S. Bean. Presumably using this equipment, the Bonami mill resumed operations that lasted until 1929, when the installations were removed. A rural community remained, and in 1948 the population was 200. In 1986 Bonami had no apparent community center but was marked by an abandoned sawmill and the Freewill Baptist Church. Logging, a sand and gravel operation, and chicken and stock raising were the chief economic activities.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Bonami, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bonami-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bonami
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379440
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Associated Names

Bon Ami

Leeton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.71353660°
  • Longitude: -93.88268170°
Population Counts
People Year
12 2009