Henry F. Bone, minister and Confederate officer, was born in Tennessee in 1835, the son of Henry P. and Narcissa Bone. He moved to Texas sometime after 1850, settled in the area between Dallas and the Oklahoma border, and studied to become a minister. In June 1861 Bone joined the Eleventh Texas Cavalry, then being organized in nearby Grayson County, as chaplain. On May 8, 1862, Bone was elected as major, but this commission was rejected by the examining board. In response, he tendered his resignation as chaplain on June 14, 1862. This resignation was accepted on July 7. After this date it is unclear whether he continued to serve with the Eleventh Texas Cavalry. On December 31, 1863, Bone married Mary Jane Ritchie in Cooke County. The following month, in January 1864, he received a grant of 160 acres in Wise County from J.W. Hale.
Following the Civil War, Bone pursued a career in the ministry in both North Texas and Middle Tennessee. From 1868 to 1869 he was the minister at White Rock Presbytery in Dallas. Between 1870 and 1873 Bone was minister at McMinnville Presbytery in McMinnville, Tennessee. He returned to Texas in 1874 and ministered at Guthrie Presbytery in Dallas until 1876. In 1891 he preached at the Bones Chapel Church in Whitesboro, Texas. Sometime later, Bone relocated to Winona Lake, Indiana, and began ministering at Paris Presbytery. He eventually retired at Winona Lake and passed away there on August 16, 1917. He is buried at Fairview Cemetery in Gainesville, Texas.