Bonita, TX (Comal County)


By: Oscar Haas

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bonita, five miles northeast of New Braunfels in eastern Comal County, was established in 1853–54 when Duncan McBryde, Thomas J. Haley, and J. S. Craft settled on lands in the Nancy Kenner and Orilla Russell leagues. Haley had his slaves seal crevices in a sinkhole on the Balcones Escarpment to make a waterhole for the livestock of the first families. In 1876 Peter Triesch donated land on the east side of Alligator or San Geronimo Creek for the school.

New Braunfels Herald, July 6, 1954.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Oscar Haas, “Bonita, TX (Comal County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bonita-tx-comal-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bonita
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comal County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.81022090°
  • Longitude: -98.09945290°