Bonney is on Farm Road 521 six miles north of Angleton in Brazoria County. The town was established on the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1873 and named for a conductor on the Columbia Tap Railroad. By 1889 a local post office had been established, and in 1890 Bonney had a general store. The next six years brought a school and three more businesses, including another general store, a cotton gin, and an express and telegraph agent. In 1895 the town reported a population of seventy-five. By 1906 there was a school with one teacher and twenty students. The post office was discontinued in 1920. In 1955 the town had one business and twenty-five inhabitants. In 1988 the population was ninety-nine. In 1990 it was 339, and in 2000 it grew to 384.